Tuesday, March 28, 2017

IT'S WISTERIA BLOSSOM TIME


Oh friends, it is springtime in Los Angeles. I have been digging up Bermuda grass (also known as dubo, dog's tooth grass and, most accurately, devil's grass) in my native plant garden to the tune some days of several hours.

Apparently many people actually plant the stuff for a lawn but here in Southern Cal, and I'm sure points beyond, it is viewed as a noxious weed with unimaginably deep, gnarly roots that must be eliminated inch by inch!

Anyway, last Sunday I was able to steal away to view this white wisteria on Pasadena's Arroyo Boulevard that I'd spotted the week before on a walk. The neighboring town of Sierra Madre boasts a purple (more common than white) wisteria that was planted from a gallon pot in 1894, now occupies over an acre, and is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the largest blossoming plant I think in the world!

By the skin of my teeth, I am caught up on my writing, admin, social, spiritual and religious obligations, email and other correspondence (kind of), and gardening, and am thus stealing away for a few days to Death Valley, hoping to catch some of this year's wildflower display.

Peace, silence, solitude--first, though, I have to run to Target for a large supply of canned Starbucks double shot espessos to tide me over in case the Tecopa Hot Springs Resort and Amargosa Opera House Hotel are short on caffeine (not to mention Death Valley is a 4-hour drive each way).

Hey, I'm fasting from sugar for Lent (again, kind of). Cut me some slack.

Happy spring to all!







THIS MAY BE MY FAVORITE.
INVASION OF THE WHITE WISTERIA!
THEY ALSO SMELL INDESCRIBABLY SWEET...


2 comments:

  1. Hahahaa! Too funny, Heather. I will never ever catch up, it seems. Glad you have! Probably all those ESPRESSO DOUBLE SHOTS. Enjoy the wildflowers. Lent in the desert, with a show. Looking forward to the photos.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!