Thursday, July 6, 2017

HOME--ALTHOUGH I'M AWAY--AT LAST


UNITY OF FORM, SHAPE, COLOR, DESIGN...




MORNING WISTERIA, INSIDE AND OUT

"I don't know what the effective ratio would be, but I've always had some sort of intuition that for every hour that you spend in the company of other human beings you need X number of hours alone. Now, what that X represents I don't really know; it might be two and seven-eighths or seven and two-eights, but it's a substantial ratio."
--Glenn Gould, from a conversation in Forever Young, by Jonathan Cott

Well I DO know what X is, Glenn. It's 1000.

Thank the Lord, I am getting in a few of those hours this week at the Dorland Mountain Arts Colony in Temecula, CA.

I have my own cabin, perched on top of a mountain. There is NO NOISE except for birds and insects. Every day, towards dusk, I walk up and down the long and very steep drive five times.

Other than that, I rise at dawn, pray, catch up on my work, and watch Wimbledon on Sling TV.

Then I wander outside and look at birds through my binoculars. Take a nap. Nibble crackers, cheese and stone fruit. Admire the sky. Say thank you, thank you, thank you. The prospect of not having to be anywhere or talk to anyone all day makes my heart SING.

Here's another quote from Cott's book, this one from Werner Herzog (I consider both Gould and Herzog special "friends"):

"I am obsessed with chickens. Take a close and very long look into the eyes of a chicken, and you'll see the most frightful kind of stupidity. Stupidity is always frightful. It's the devil: stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and then you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world."




THESE ARE ALL DUSK


THESE DO NOT BEGIN TO CONVEY THE ARDUOUS JOURNEY
OF JUST ONE TREK UP AND DOWN THE DRIVE!



EVERY SINGLE NIGHT WE SEE SUCH A DISPLAY! 


1 comment:

  1. Heather, my X, I've long known, is at least 10 waking hours. 1,000 is certainly desirable at times. I share in your happiness, glad for your time in solitude. Solitude, I understand, is rarely silent. My inner world, and I suspect your inner world too, is far noisier than a busy city, but has an unmatched richness in depth. May your solitude birth a gentle inner world of graciousness and love. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!