Friday, July 21, 2017

THE STAINED GLASS OF WILL FRANK

DETAIL, THE LUMINOUS MYSTERIES
WILLIAM FRANK, EMIL FREI & ASSOCIATES
ST. EUGENE CHURCH, OKLAHOMA CITY, OK

Whoops, here's a piece I forgot to post from several weeks back. 

This week's arts and culture piece came about when I met Professor of Philosophy William (Bill) Frank at a conference in Portsmouth, RI last summer. He not only presented me with a FIVE-leaf clover he'd found wandering the grounds: he told me about his son Will, a stained glass artist.

Here's how the piece begins:

William Frank is Artist in Residence with Emil Frei & Associates, a St. Louis stained-glass studio. His extensive portfolio of selected large-scale projects includes churches, hospitals and schools.

He and his wife Jane live in “a tiny 950-square-foot house with chickens in the back,” not far from the studio. They have four kids: Ruth, 7, Clement, 5, Peter, 3, and Joseph, 1.

“Living with little kids like I do, when I’m designing I’m more attentive to how a little kid might perceive what’s in the church,” he said. “Kids are just as if not more capable of perceiving and understanding a picture as adults are. They might not know which Bible verse the story comes from. But they get it.”

Will himself grew up the youngest of five.

“We were surrounded by original artwork. Abstract expressionist paintings, religious in content, by my maternal grandmother [Geraldine Chicherio]. And icons my parents picked up on trips to Greece. Having religious art with a family connection was deeply influential. I was formed to know that the best work comes from someone who personally feels it.”


 READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I WELCOME your comments!!!